1 more month till my visit back to Texas. It has been 14 months since I’ve been home. I can’t stress how many items of food and drinks have entered my tiny belly in those 14 months. I’ve enjoyed the best dishes in my life – I wasn’t just eating my typical Tex Mex or Mommy’s vietnamese dishes. During those 14 months, I was able to add on 10 more pounds of Julie. I left Austin weighing 105 pounds, and my goal is to arrive back in Austin at 105 pounds. Today starts my shedding of the pounds.
Here is a bit of a summary of the delicious items I’ve had in the past 14 months:
- 6 Brunches. Brunch in Dubai is defined as Friday’s day of unlimited eating and drinking (alcoholic and non alcoholic) for 5 straight hours. There are over 50 brunch venues in Dubai and the cuisines vary. The best brunches in town offer the most exquisite dishes (i.e. Al Qasr brunch includes over 5 rooms of food)
- Pakistani/Indian Cuisine. I’ve learned that every Pakistani dish you eat includes a lot of Roti or Naan (bread). I never ate Pakistani food in Texas – never! Now I eat it on a regular basis and have tried it all. My stomach has been fed Chicken Tikka, Lentil, Kebabs, Keema, every type of curry and others I don’t even know how to pronounce. If you have never tried it, I highly recommend it. And if you live in Dubai, you must check out Ravi!
- Lebanese. Another popular cuisine in Dubai. Lots of yogurt, hummus, fattoush and zaatar. Am I missing anything?
- Shakespeare. At the Ogilvy office, when everyone asks that question at 12 o’clock ‘to order lunch in or go out for lunch?’ it usually means ‘to order lunch or go down to Shakespeare?’ The “shakespearean” atmosphere cafe offers loads of overpriced food and coffee, yet we still eat there day after day. I have a record of 6 biscuits every morning with my latte.
- Ruth Chris. Ribeye. Enough said.
- 5 days of Thai food. Pad Thai, Green & Red Curry, Nasi Goreng, etc for 5 days straight in Thailand.
- Chocolate after each meal. Ritter Sport, Kit Kat, Lion bar, Crunchy you complete me. I eat one of these after each meal. Bad habits die hard and this one has been the most tough.
Now it’s time to say goodbye to all the above and to my 10 pounds for the next month! Words of advice? Please do share.